Posts filed under ‘Culture’
As you may have noticed, I’ve been winding down That’s Ireland in recent weeks. During that time, I have been working on a new blog, which is now online.
MichaelNugent.com will be mostly about two issues that I’m very passionate about:
- Understanding why and how people are happy, because happiness is the underlying reason that anybody wants anything, and
- Promoting atheism, because I believe that the idea of gods is bad for society as it makes good people do bad things.
Ironically, my interest in happiness started when I wanted to be a success. I studied what very successful people have in common. Step one: to succeed in anything big, you must start with a passionate desire. So I did an exercise to help ignite that desire. For each aim, I asked ‘why do I want this?’ and for each answer, ‘why do I want that?’ I soon discovered my underlying motivation. Beneath all of the layers of sub-reasons, I wanted anything for exactly the same real reason: because I believed getting it would make me happier. But would it? Many people remain unhappy despite fabulous success. So I shifted my focus from seeking success to the reason I wanted it… happiness.
My interest in atheism is much simpler. I am an atheist because I reject the idea that gods exist, in the same way and for the same reasons that I reject the ideas that that the earth is balanced on the back of a sea turtle, that homeopathy is more useful than a heart transplant, that Rapunzel wove her hair into a ladder or Rumpelstiltskin wove straw into gold, that stepping on a pavement crack will break my mother’s back, that a deposed Nigerian prince wants to email me several million dollars, that Uri Geller can bend spoons with his mind, that I am in danger from vampires or zombies or broken mirrors, or that I am protected by angels or leprechauns or horseshoes.
Anyway, my new blog is at MichaelNugent.com
Please check it out and let me know what you think.
I’d be grateful for any feedback, comments, etc.
Senator Eoghan Harris has taken an early lead in the race for Eejit of the Year 2008. His article in today’s Sunday Independent both borrows a tactic perfected by last year’s winning Eejit John Waters (the famous ‘I am crying, writing this’ theme) and also ventures into unparalleled realms of eejitry of his own.
Just read this, and I defy you not to laugh: >>> (more…)
Some options available for online purchase by the discerning Irish parader:
This is what might have been if Oasis were from Donegal (a video tribute from YouTube user Cornyack):
So today we have news of:
- A property developer telling a court that his brother sprayed him in the face with a water hose during an argument about painting a fence, while the brother counters that he was laughing at his hose.
- A community activist telling a tribunal that a property developer kicked another property developer in the shins at a meeting, causing him to respond ‘Jesus, Owen, what are you kicking me for?’
- Our Finance Minister telling the Dail that he has confidence in our Prime Minister, who has used political donations to their political party to help buy a house for himself, as has his girlfriend.
Seriously, it’s like living inside a bad sit-com.
Plavsa are still selling their fishy slimming pills, promoting them with a printed poster on the front door of at least one Unicare pharmacy in Dublin.
- Last year the Advertising Standards Authority banned their print ads because they failed to substantiate the claims that they made in it.
- Plavsa responded by publishing the same ad with slightly different wording, but were told that that was not acceptable either.
- Now they are using a poster that makes no claims for the product other than it is ‘the new fat fighter’, and that it is ‘new to Unicare’.
- Amazingly, despite limiting themselves to just eight words, they still manage to make two misleading claims. Plavsa is not a ‘new fat fighter’ and Unicare was selling Plavsa last year, using a poster of the now-banned advert.
For further details, read the following posts:
- Ad for Fishy Slimming Pills is Still Banned
- Plavsa Drops Reference to Untraceable Inventor
- Advert for Fishy Slimming Pills is Banned
- Fishy Claims of Slimming Pills that Soak up Fat